Friday, July 5, 2013

Underwear Security vs Freedom

I picked up a real neat book on Fashion when I was on holidays. I will share with you some portions that I found interesting and of course helpful for the fashion shopper. Sorry for not posting in the last little while as I have been enjoying the company of my wonderful Grand Children. Well lets get started.

   It is said that as in life, when it comes to underwear, you have to make the choice between security and freedom.

   This is certainly the story of the corset, an object that shows up in various forms in many different cultures and has been a lightning rod for various notions of what women's bodies should look like.

   The usual take on today is that they symbolize the oppression of women. At the costume departments of museums, we gawk at the tiny waists and the intricate structuring of these garments. We imagine that in times when women were more restricted, as in Victorian England, corseting was tightest, and when women were more liberated, as in the 1920s, it was the loosest.

   Interesting as it is we have both a combination of fashion underwear apparel that can be both tight fitting in the form of modern day shape wear as well we have underwear that can be loose fitting. And of course the corset is available today for those women who enjoy that type of garment.

    I have selected a few visuals for you to consider and I have linked you to my fashion website for you to enjoy and explore. My thanks goes out to Tim Gunn for writing such an interesting and informative book on the subject of fashion.
In The Mood Intimates

Henry & June

Flirty Lingerie

Playful Threads

Tim Gunns Fashion Bible

No comments: